Wednesday, November 16, 2011

General kitchen "things"

I jumped into the Thanksgiving information because it's that time of year.
Now I 'd like to backtrack a bit and go over some basic things.
I have always be exposed to cooking. I will admit that sometimes I like it a lot more than other times. My theory on cooking is if you can read you can cook, however, if you are not familiar with it, even the reading can seem a bit foreign. What I hope to show you is that it can be easy. I also want to offer some easy meal for people in a hurry or for those who have to cook but just don't like it all that much. Maybe I can help make it painless.
A few things I use that are major time savers...Microwave, crock pot and George Foreman Grill. Those three items will save you so much time.
I don t do much with my microwave other than veggies. I have never really cared for the out come of things cooked in the microwave. It does veggies great and that frees up a burner. When cooking a large meal that is very handy. Also, you can microwave in what you are going to serve in so that also helps with clean up.
The crock pot is great of people who work. You come home and the bulk of your work is done.
The Foreman Grill is a major time saver. Cooking meat is the most time consuming part of any meal, cooking time wise. This Grill cooks great and prepares your meat in half the time and drains the fat..WHAT is not to love!
If you don t have a microwave..get one..You don 't need a huge one and the prices are reasonable. I do not recommend a used one, unless it is from someone you know so that you can feel comfortable with it being in good working order. A crock pot with a removable bowl is the best, only because it is easier to clean and you can remove the bowl for serving. The Foreman Grill comes in so many sizes and styles. Purchase one that suits your family size and needs. There are other brands that are similar. I have only used Foreman but any ones along that line should serve your purpose.
To make your cooking easier:
measuring spoons
measuring cups
mixing bowls, of various sizes
a nice mix of sauce pans and fry pans
8 x 8 and 9 x 13 baking dishes
cookie sheets
basic spices of salt, pepper, garlic powder and oregano..others according to taste..but for me..those are vital.
For those quick meal needs....
in the freezer---a few pieces of boneless chicken breast
small package of hamburger
hamburger patties --pre-made or ones you make...separated by wax paper and tightly wrapped against freezer burn.
garlic bread
in the cabinet--various types of pasta
pasta sauce
rice
in the fridge-- eggs
cheese..slices and shredded
salad dressing
lettuce
cucumbers / peppers / carrots ( all according to your likes)
in general-- bread..whole grain, white, Italian ( all according to your likes)
various fruits.
With at least these items on hand you can create a great, quick meal..anytime...Pasta and garlic bread...grilled chicken breast with rice and cheese, hamburger and salad, Pasta and salad, pasta and meat balls, with salad and garlic bread, scrambled eggs with cheese and toast, Grilled cheese and fruit. Any of those a quick and creative. Some for you and certainly something you could serve company.
Personally, I m a rather picky eater. I have a limited "personal" menu but I have children who love to experiment and love just about anything. I 'm always willing to cook anything, even if I don t like it. Because of this, and the crazy schedule around here, I have a great many dishes that look like they take hours but can be put together in a very limited amount of time. I think you find some wonderful ideas here..so read...and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment